Farm Innovation Nigeria Limited was birthed to develop innovative solutions that see farmers improve their processes, increase their yield and subsequently increase their income. We provide a range of services including Research, Agribusiness development, E-extension services and Agric value chain development.
We are looking for Senior Agronomists to join our project team in the implementation of an agricultural extension project in the North Eastern part of Nigeria.
As an organization, our mission is to change the African agricultural narrative by building successful Agri-preneurs through increased access to information, markets, resources and affordable Agtech products. Our vision is to be Africa’s foremost hub and catalyst for Agricultural technology innovations.
- Coordinate with partner agriculture research institutions to develop, improve or recommend information on varieties of selected field crops with respect to characteristics including efficient production, higher yield, improved quality, adaptation to specific soils or climates, and resistance to diseases and pests.
- Provide best practices pertaining to crop production for planting, cultivation, and harvesting, and make appropriate recommendations to Small Holder Farmers.
- Stay informed about the effects of various climatic conditions on crops including best practices for control of weeds, crop diseases, and insect pests, and make recommendations as appropriate to the project team.
- Support in the development of value chain content for GAP and Farmer Service center for selected value chains.
- Provide virtual support to farmers in remote areas through a designated virtual platform.
- Actively foster the active participation of women in the project activities;
- Promote proper adoption of GAP, advanced agro-techniques identified by the project as well as Farmers Service Centre of the Project;
- Provide support for training and technical backstopping for small holder farmers on improved and appropriate crop production and post-production technologies.
- Conduct support visits to the project areas to ensure maximum impact of the project
- Assist in establishing and maintaining an information database for Farmers Service Centre, GAP training and Business advisory services and other relevant service to aid project delivery
- Provide technical assistance for both short-term assignments in an advisory capacity, monitoring progress against contract deliverables and providing guidance to project field staff
- Prepare reports and other documents as required such as Lessons Learned and Innovations in interaction with Farmers on the field etc.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and reporting skills
- Knowledge about climate change adaptation, climate-smart agriculture techniques, etc.
- Knowledge in computer (MS word, excel and PowerPoint)
- Fluent written and oral communication in English and Hausa languages.
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially with primary stakeholders;
- A team player and self-starter able to inspire and influence action;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem-solving;
- Broad geographic experience of either Gombe or Adamawa States
- Be familiar with agricultural calendar in the regions
- Bachelor degree (masters preferred) in agriculture (preferably with specialization in agronomy) Agricultural Science, Agronomy, Crop Science, Food Science, and Food Security or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ experience in agriculture, with specialization in Agronomy, crop science, soil science, animal science, extension services or Agric value chain development
How to Apply
Send in a single document of not more than 3 pages containing your CV and cover letter in PDF format. The document should be saved in the following format First Name -Surname_Position applied for and sent to email@example.com no later than 10th January, 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity in all facets of our organization. All qualified applicants will receive due consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Due to a high volume of applications, please understand that we are unable to contact everyone and will only be reaching out to long-listed applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.