TERMS OF REFERENCE
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT – SHORT TERM ENGAGEMENT
Background and Context
Farm Innovation Nigeria Limited is a Agricultural Technology Company founded to develop innovative solutions that help farmers improve their processes, increase their production yield and subsequently increase their income through increased access to information, markets, resources and affordable Agtech products. Our vision is to be Africa’s foremost hub and catalyst for Agricultural technology innovations and as such, we work in partnerships with state and non-state actors (public, private and other stakeholders within the social structure) in channeling benefits to the communities across Nigeria. Farm Innovation recognizes the need for smallholder farmers to access information on locally-adapted best management approaches, as well as the need to promote an enabling environment through policies and incentives, financial services, and human and social capital, and works to contribute solutions through agricultural research and technology innovation.
Farm Innovation Nigeria Limited (FIN) is implementing a commercially driven “digitised agricultural e-extension services” in Adamawa & Gombe States. The aim of the grant is to prove the case for affordable and convenient digitised e-extension services targeted at farmers with a bias for women and Persons with Disabilities in conflict and post conflict areas of Northern Nigeria.
In order to position ourselves as a key player in the Agtech sector, we are seeking to hire a short-term Business Development Consultant to work with a young and dynamic team in shaping the business development capacities and capabilities of our organization.
Objectives of the Assignment
The Business Development Consultant will support the team in developing a strategy for implementing the business models for our products and identifying further market opportunities for our solution offering (Farmaid).
Scope of Work
The consultant is expected to deliver on the following work components:
- Business model optimization and process documentation
- Business development and establishing strategic partnerships
- Marketing and communications
- Any other work assigned
Business Model Optimization and Process Documentation
- Review and optimize FarmAid business model with emphasis on developing a revenue model
- Identify FINs Unique Selling Position and proposition offering to clients
- Lead business process strategy, process definition and documentation working with the operations manager and other core teams
Business Development and Establishing Strategic partnerships
- Identify partnership collaborations effective to FINs business development process
- Identify potential business opportunities that FIN could explore (both donor/private sector financed)
- Develop proposals, presentations and pitches on FINs offering and USP for all stakeholders (farmers, market actors)
- Develop partnership with FIs, MNOs, Fintech etc. on payment solutions for farmers
Marketing and Communication
- Prepare sales decks and manage relations with prospective clients, sector experts, business partners and potential funders and investors
- Develop pitch and attend pitching events
- Prospect for various business growth opportunities within the Agric sector
- Prepare introductions, letters of intent, grant requests/proposals, grant reports, sponsorship package copy, individual donor appeals, and similar fundraising materials as required.
- Contribute to the collection and dissemination of relevant data and information about Farm Innovation via internet and other channels and mechanisms
- Participate in relevant exhibitions in and out of Nigeria
Expected Minimum Deliverables
- Optimized business model including revenue model
- Documented business processes
- Business proposals, presentations targeting all stakeholders
- Identified stakeholders mapping and contact details (Market Actors)
- Evidence of strategic partnership established with at least 5 key partners
- Evidence of pitching events, strategic marketing and results of strategic marketing
The consultancy is for maximum 180 days with commencement date of 1st February 2020
- An advanced university degree in Agricultural Development, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration or other related subject areas
- Good understanding of agricultural and rural development from both a development cooperation and private sector perspective
- Excellent understanding of international development and its implementation and funding mechanisms (public and private)
- Good understanding of agribusinesses and agricultural value chains trends, including major areas of interest and intervention, as well as interactions with the private sector
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience working in the area of agribusiness, agricultural value chain development and marketing
- Fluency in English, with excellent written and oral communication skills
Method of Application
Firms and individual applicants should send their CVs along with a short technical and financial proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with Business Development Consultant as the subject of the mail no later than 5pm, 20th January 2020.
Please include the following information in your financial proposal:
- Your interpretation of the task as contained in the ToR
- Your monthly consultancy fee in Naira (₦).